#ISTE2018: I needed this

Blogging from ISTE 2018 in Chicago.......

I needed to be around this group. Since the end of the school year, I haven't had much to say. Not for any particular reason - just for a while I haven't felt as though I had much to offer. Maybe just because it's the end of the first year of a Superintendency and I'm in more of a reflective mode.

Until I walked into the McCormick Center for ISTE.



It just felt good to be back with this group, gearing up to immerse myself in these four days. Not thinking about politics. Not thinking about the latest lunacy coming from the legislature. Not thinking about funding models. Not thinking about Every Student Succeeds Act.

Just thinking about pushing learning forward. Thinking that learning (and educating) can be fun. Thinking that there are multiple "playgrounds" and that exploring new cool (educational) toys is a legitimate pursuit.




There are about 20,000 people here from all over the world - all different in terms of appearance, ability, ethnicity, sexuality, national origin.  The only agenda is to educate, inspire, and empower children. They aren't afraid of each other, they're not here to demonize each other.






In fact, they might even be open to the idea that they might have something to learn from students from Mexico.



Yeah, I needed this.